Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cortina Rear Axles - looking for dimensions and opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortina Rear Axles - looking for dimensions and opinions

Cortina Rear Axles - looking for dimensions and opinions

Hi all

I have been thinking about swaping out the English rear axle with something a little bit stronger. I know Jewels has a narrowed 9 inch ford and I think Benny has gone with the 8 inch from the Pinto/Mustang II shortened on one side to take the two short side axle shafts (left side I think). Rear spring perches on the English axle seem to be 38 inches center to center and center of spring to axle tube mounting flange is 4.75 for a total of 47 inches for the empty axle tube flange to flange. Wheel face mount to wheel face mount seems to measure 54 or just under. I guess my question is, what are the dimensions that you folks ended up with? The 38 perch to perch seems that its a given, anything else that I should consider, any other options than the Ford 8 and 9 inch rear ends?

Gary

Exclamation

well the other option is use a salisbury (borg warner) now im not sure what they are in in

the states but they run a 28 spline nine inch axle

they are much much light than 9 and we have used them in many conversions here

DR danger has one fitted HERE

Last edited by jewels; 3rd August 2008 at 09:09 AM.

Yep, can recommend the Borg Warner, good diff. Light, easy to shorten, plenty of bits around (should be the same over there also?).

The other option I would be seriously looking into is a Toyota Hilux diff. I think over there they are called Tacoma's? Anyway, HEAPS of people here use them because they have strong axles and centres (30 spline axles), a tough LSD (in 4WD versions), plenty of ratio options and you have to do virtually nothing to fit them if you find the right one. With some of them, all you have to do is change the brakes over and bolt it in. May have to change the tailshaft yolk/uni, not sure. Worth looking into though I think.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Here is mine. Borg Warner with 28 spline axles, 4.11 gears and 4 pin LSD. Original Cortina spring mounts were retained and disk brakes from a R31 Nissan Skyline with single pistion calipers on a slide arrangement are used.

Bit bigger and heavier (but not that much) than a Banjo style diff but 200 times stronger...

Allows for much fun but without having to stress about snapping axles or whatnot.

www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Hi Jewels

I am kind of partial to 9 inch axles, I have a Bronco 9 inch and a Lincoln Versailles that both need a bit of work. They are both around 58 inches Wheel mount surface to Wheel mount surface. I guess that I need to shorten one side at the minimum. What dimension did you end up with WMS to WMS and what wheels are you using?

Thanks Gary
    Last edited by garyeanderson; 3rd August 2008 at 11:01 PM.

I think the Ford 8.8inch may be the way to go. Get one from an Explorer as many came with a LSD and 3.55 or 3.73. Aftermarket support is huge thanks to the Mustang and 4X4 people.I beleive Moser can make axels to retain our 4on41/4bolt pattern. Worth a look I think.

8.8s are heavy and a pain to change ratios....
    But LSDs are easy to come by and yeah, plenty of aftermarket support

There are some weights given over on
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...le_weights.htm

Dana 44 Rear (full sized)140lbs
    Dana 60 Semi-Float210lbs Dana 60 Full-Float260lbs

7.5 - Inch130lbs 8.8-Inch (full size)167lbs 8.8-Inch (Ranger type)146lbs 9-Inch245lbs

The 8 inch ford is supposed to be 20 or 30 pounds lighter than the 9 inch but there are more options available for the 9 inch like the alloy nose and many different spools limited slips, lockers, etc. Then there are the 9 inch ratios that start at 2.50 and go up to 6.xx in about 5% increments (maybe not quite but close).

I went over to my trailer to get the bronco housing and axles, the axle tube is about the length of the complete cortina rear end. I also have a pair of 31 spline axles and the 3.50 chuck for the 31 spline axles, looks like I need to find someone to shorten them.
    There is another good page I found this morning on ID ing 9 inch fords

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

this one is bronco specific

http://americanbronco.ipower.com/page9.html

no matter what rear end you choose

the axles or axle will need to be shortened

or billet moser etc made

it wouls be real 'tinny' if you found axles the right length

wheels im running 15x 7 with a 235 55 tyre

This is a link that I found a while ago on the Dana 44 that is used in the Jeep CJ5, this is the only rear axle that "MAY" be able to be used with out narrowing to upgrage the Cortina for a modified power plant with a good deal more power. They are farly rugged with some of the later units coming with 30 spline axles. They came with AMC 304 cubic inch engine in the CJ5 for a while and even larger 360 cubic inch in the Wagoneer.

http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d44.html

Quote Originally Posted by garyeanderson View Post
    The 8 inch ford is supposed to be 20 or 30 pounds lighter than the 9 inch but there are more options available for the 9 inch like the alloy nose and many different spools limited slips, lockers, etc. Then there are the 9 inch ratios that start at 2.50 and go up to 6.xx in about 5% increments
    Gary,

Although I wish I could take credit for it, there is no other axle option that makes anywhere near the kind of sense that the Mustang II 8" makes.

First off, you can literally do the swap for less than $100 with zero machining of axles, and end up with an axle that is absolutely unbreakable. You also get a bolt pattern that matches the front wheels by default, and the option of disc brakes is very easy to add (although it only buys you bragging rights) for not much money.

On top of that, you end up with an axle with great spares availability. You can get aluminum center sections, spools, LSDs, lockers just like its bigger brother.....and how many gear ratio choices do you really need?!

With the 8", the size of the diff housing has no impact on suspension travel even on a severely lowered car. I have to imagine that it would start to become a concern on a lowered car running a 9" because my 8" is pretty close.

With all due respect, living in this country and considering any other option over the 8" is just making extra work for the sake of making work......not to mention spending money for the sake of it!

Pimtina,

If you are putting any real power in your car, those Explorer ratios you mentioned are way too low. My car had a 3.00:1, and first gear was all but useless. I have since gone to a 2.79:1, and I feel it is just about right.
    Last edited by benny; 5th August 2008 at 01:50 PM.

Benny,I'm fairly sure I'm going the same route as you. I've sourced a MustangII rear and a second short axle, it is "suppost" to show up here soon. I'm thinking maybe a 3.08 or 3.27 as the car will see very little hiway milege, then perhaps something a bit steeper for the dragstrip!
    Just started cutting up the firewall and tranny tunnel, hope to be test fitting the motor by the end of the month!

Pimtina,

What diamter tires, and what ratio OD are you going with? I honestly think you will find the 3.27 too short for anything other than drag strip work.

if they are around 50 inchs should be good

we run an alloy carrier in the 4 door brings the weight back to a salisbury type weight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Gary,

Although I wish I could take credit for it, there is no other axle option that makes anywhere near the kind of sense that the Mustang II 8" makes.

First off, you can literally do the swap for less than $100 with zero machining of axles, and end up with an axle that is absolutely unbreakable. You also get a bolt pattern that matches the front wheels by default, and the option of disc brakes is very easy to add (although it only buys you bragging rights) for not much money.

On top of that, you end up with an axle with great spares availability. You can get aluminum center sections, spools, LSDs, lockers just like its bigger brother.....and how many gear ratio choices do you really need?!

With the 8", the size of the diff housing has no impact on suspension travel even on a severely lowered car. I have to imagine that it would start to become a concern on a lowered car running a 9" because my 8" is pretty close.

With all due respect, living in this country and considering any other option over the 8" is just making extra work for the sake of making work......not to mention spending money for the sake of it!

Pimtina,

If you are putting any real power in your car, those Explorer ratios you mentioned are way too low. My car had a 3.00:1, and first gear was all but useless. I have since gone to a 2.79:1, and I feel it is just about right.
    Hi Benny

I know you have been there/done that, that being said its always best to get all the info you can before doing anything. This discussion was started just for that reason. I had a reply on the screen the other night, I wanted to re-read it again in the morning. I made some minor changes and sent it only to be told by the silly computer to log in. The post was lost an I hate re-doing messages. The gist of the message was I think your approach is most likely the best one, but I do have the 9 inch housings (a pair) and some long 31 spline axles and a 3.50 center section. my friend has a 3.25 from a 63 Gaxaxy that had the police package and it looks to have the 31 spline axles. The net resule of being financially chalanged (flat broke) I would like to use what I have. I did do a little looking around and found a pair of 8 inch rear axles 50 miles away, one is out of the Mustange II, the other out of a Pinto, they want $100 each and that is most likely the way I'll go if the money scituation changes. I like the fact that the bolt pattern is the same on those 8 inch axles, what size wheels are you using, offset would be helpful too.

Thanks again
    Gary

My wheels are 13x6".....yet one more benefit of the Mustang II axle, as you couldn't get 13" wheel over the brakes from any other axle. I don't know the offset, but suffice to say, if it will work on a Cortina axle, it will work on this axle as the width is the same within something like 1/4".

$100 each sounds steep for those axles. As I mentioned, I can go to the scrap yard, and get the whole axle (housing, diff, brakes, and two axles) for $75.

This 8" swap is as easy, and as effortless as any axle swap will ever be.....it really is as if the Ford-Gods were smiling on us on this one.

My wheels are 13x6".....yet one more benefit of the Mustang II axle, as you couldn't get 13" wheel over the brakes from any other axle. I don't know the offset, but suffice to say, if it will work on a Cortina axle, it will work on this axle as the width is the same within something like 1/4".

$100 each sounds steep for those axles. As I mentioned, I can go to the scrap yard, and get the whole axle (housing, diff, brakes, and two axles) for $75.

This 8" swap is as easy, and as effortless as any axle swap will ever be.....it really is as if the Ford-Gods were smiling on us on this one.
    That is at an east coast scrapyard. We have to pay more for rusted wrecks too, most have been dead and recycled for 15 years around here. The only good thing about rusty cars is the mileage is usually less as they die of terminal cancer before the mechanicles are worn out. I guess I could go visit a bunch of junkyards and do the tire kicking and put a hundred miles on the diesel pickup and give the money to the oil companies. Maybe I'll bring a a picinic basket, take a ride in the country and make a day of it.

Gary

That is at an east coast scrapyard. We have to pay more for rusted wrecks too, most have been dead and recycled for 15 years around here. The only good thing about rusty cars is the mileage is usually less as they die of terminal cancer before the mechanicles are worn out. I guess I could go visit a bunch of junkyards and do the tire kicking and put a hundred miles on the diesel pickup and give the money to the oil companies. Maybe I'll bring a a picinic basket, take a ride in the country and make a day of it.

Gary
    We have the same problem here in the upper mid-west too. I haven't seen a Pinto or MustangII on the roads here for 20 years, or in a salvage yard for 10! I found my yet to be seen rear end through Ebay, a guy had a bunch of MustangII stuff on auction so I contacted him about a rear end and axle, got 'em for $125 should have it next week.

That is at an east coast scrapyard. We have to pay more for rusted wrecks too, most have been dead and recycled for 15 years around here. The only good thing about rusty cars is the mileage is usually less as they die of terminal cancer before the mechanicles are worn out.
    Yeah, I suppose you had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways too, huh?!

Maybe I should start a side-line business pulling decent parts out of our wrecking yards before all the 60's and 70's cars disappear forever.

Yeah, I suppose you had to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways too, huh?!
    Hi Benny
    Nope, took the bus with a heater no less. only walked on nice warm sunny days or took my bicycle.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast