Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Suspension

Thread: Suspension

Suspension

Hi all, I am in the process of refurbishing the steering and suspension of my Mk 1 Super. Problem is I cant open the retaining nut on the insert.how does one remove it, Thanks in advance, Myles.

Hi,
    Are you talking about the strut insert?
    If so, you can make a tool that fits in a couple of the four slots of the nut holding the insert in the tube.
    The alternative if there is enough of the nut protruding, is a pair of stilsons. The nut will be probably be ruined, but you usually get new ones with new inserts.
    Bathing them in penetrating oil each day, for as long as you can be patient for, will help greatly.
    Are they still the old oil shocks, or gas?
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Hi Dr.Danger, I can get a ring spanner on the nut, problem is there is only a slot in the top of the strut and I can't get anything to hold it.Theres nothing wrong with the insert (oil) just seems a bit tight to turn.

Ah, the nut holding the strut top on? Rattle gun. You could take down to your local mechanic, they will rattle them off in about 2 seconds and if you smile nice, won't even charge you.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Job done,have an impact gun myself, thanks for your help, Myles.