Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Rear springs/axle

Thread: Rear springs/axle

Rear springs/axle

Hi all, just wondering what the procedure is for removing and reinstalling the rear springs on a Mk 1. I need to add a leaf to mine as they are gone quite flat,any advice appreciated,thanks ,Myles.

It's been ages since I've done one, but the process is very simple.

Undo shackles and drop the spring out. There is a bolt that keeps the spring pack together. Undo that and they essentially fall apart.

However, it could be better to get your springs reset? Adding leaves will make the rear a fair bit stiffer as well as make it ride higher.

Keep track of or renew the little pads that sit in between the leaves as they can help creaking issues.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Hi Dr. Danger, thanks for your advice,I had the springs off last year and when putting them back had difficulty getting the ubolts to line up on the passenger side and I don't think the centre boltIs lined up with the hole in the clamp plate, will have a go again when the weather warms up a littleThanks again for your help,Myles.

They can be a pain to put back in for sure. Strategically placed and tweaked ratchet straps can help.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

not everybody has given up visiting this original and informant Forum, a legacy left by '" Jewels " . '

Just replacing badly worn spring pad discs with new ones can raise the suspension a couple of centimetres. This can be done without having to remove the springs if you jack the rear body up to the point where the stress is taken off the leaves and they can be opened slightly with a screwdriver.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

Hello Sue , good to see your still about and driving car.