Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Installing Gas inserts in a Mk1 Cortina (Non GT) and Ball joints

Thread: Installing Gas inserts in a Mk1 Cortina (Non GT) and Ball joints

Hybrid View

Installing Gas inserts in a Mk1 Cortina (Non GT) and Ball joints

Hi

Need some advice please

I have Monroe gas inserts, do these replace the Piston. rebound tube stop, cylinder, foot valve and seals, or do I have to re install some of these items.

Or do the inserts just fit into the tube assembly and then held in place by the locking nut. Refit springs strut tops.

In regards to ball joints, are they a press fit (if so will need to have done in a workshop), or can they be done off axle stands

Cheers

Mark

Yep, the gas inserts fit straight in and get held in by the locking ring. Just clean out the strut tube of all the old oil (doesn't have to be perfect) and drop them in. Just be careful of cross threading the lock nut as it's a very fine thread and the slightest bit of damage will make your life a little more difficult. Refit springs and strut tops.

Ball joints are not press fit. They are fully re-buildable with rebuild kits. Not super difficult but need the right amount of shims to get the correct pre-load. You will have all the shims you need between whatever is in the old ones and what you get in the rebuild kits.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Thank you very much for the info

Cheers

mark