Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
MX5 Engine Into Mk1 Cortina

Thread: MX5 Engine Into Mk1 Cortina

MX5 Engine Into Mk1 Cortina

Hey guys, has anyone on here installed a MX5 engine into a Mark 1 Cortina?

I was looking at doing a zetech conversion but it seems very expensive just changing it to RWD so I thought why not use an engine that is already rwd....

If it has been done what engine and box was used? did you use carbs or efi? what engine or body mods did you have to do.

Hi and welcome.

It has been done before. I think there is a guy in the UK who did a big write-up on it.

There are a few different versions of the MX5, I think the 1800 is stronger than 1600 versions but, do your homework. Some take boost well too.

Pretty sure the Mazda boxes are used behind the engines - because easier. Unsure if any mods are needed to the tunnel. You would expect at least a new hole for the shifter and some form of mount. The factory hump that the original gearbox mounts too will probably need to go and maybe some form of light/medium bashing around the double skin of the tunnel to accommodate the bell housing.

You would absolutely go EFI if you need to keep it legal - even if you don't, you need to seriously think about it. Not sure what the Mazda ECU's are like. Some of the newer ones are a pain to sidestep the embedded security measures - so aftermarket might be necessary.

Keep us posted what you do.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

there was a really neat bp Mazda powered white mk1 at the nationals in Albury, came from south Australia if i remember, i took a photo of the engine bay, but cant upload it for some reason

It'd be a nice ride once done!

Oops. Mk2 sorry - Just becaus eI have one I keep forgetting this is a Mk1 forum lol

No matter, Mk1's & Mk2's share a floorpan and (mostly) engine bay.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Ok, Cool

If you look at Retro Ford's FB page they are finalising a cross member prototype for this conversion at the moment.

Buysellcortina has an awesome built thread on this conversion too. The guy made a 2 door GT out of a 4 door GT. It's out of control.

You won't miss the thread - it runs to about 75 pages so far.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to start a 4AGE conversion instead as it is easier to get power out of them and there is more info on how to do it