Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Preservative for spare panels

Thread: Preservative for spare panels

Preservative for spare panels

What should I use to stop bare metal spare panels from rusting that won't cause problems when they're painted or welded? I've got a couple of panels covered in cling wrap, but it's not enough to stop rust.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

What time frame are you talking about?

Spray or brush them with fish oil (cheap but smelly) or Valvoline Tectyl 506 wax (available from SuperCheap in spray can or tins).
    Both can be removed with Prepwash or Thinners for welding or painting.
    Covering with plastic wrap afterwards is also a good idea.

some guys use lanolin spray. (natural) and ive heard good results. I would strongly recommend an eopxy primer on all bare metal. etch is porous and will allow moisture to penetrate. most epoxies contain rust inhibitors and provide great protection. just remember that once steel is exposed, surface rust will start after 4 hours. with out the inhibitors you will trap the rust no matter. but the waxes and fish oil will help. just remember you are in theory contaminating the panels before you start.
    Ill try anything twice......just to be sure.

if the panels are bare metal just mix any old oil with mineral turps 70 oil / 30 turps wipe on with rag covering both sides liberally then wrap in news paper do not use cling wrap have used this method for twenty years on all the new panels that i make

Sue will be up your way in a week , could bring a mix i use that when painted on you can expose the panels without wrapping .

We used Valvoline Tectyl 506 wax once and it seems working good up to this time.

tectyl wax is good for 18 months outdoors/36 months indoors.(valvolines TDS). As a technical rep for a major paint company, i would only use this inside panels /or hard to get areas. if you miss the slightest bit before repair/painting i would guarantee issues with contamination. possibly de lamination. If this product gets into the pores of the steel i would hate to paint over this. im sure there is plenty of "never had an issue " but when some one else gets it , and cant explain why its not working. I wonder who puts their hand up
    Ill try anything twice......just to be sure.

Ta guys, I'll try the fish oil if I can get it, or the oil and newspaper.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT