Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Can someone tell me at what point brakes REQUIRE upgrading?

Thread: Can someone tell me at what point brakes REQUIRE upgrading?

Can someone tell me at what point brakes REQUIRE upgrading?

Now I know bigger brakes are always better. But at what point (or what factors) would dictate that brakes MUST be upgraded? For example (a debate I'm having with a mate) an increase in 54kg behind the front axle shouldn't be requirement alone for a legislated brake upgrade....especially if you're reducing seat capacity by one - which would able to be over 54kg extra weight any day of the week.

I'm going to speak to an engineer soon, but I thought I'd see what y'all think anyways.

Can't really answer your question per se, but not sure it's all about the extra weight. The brake test in Vic requires a certain amount of rapid stops from 100kmh; pedal pressure can't exceed a particular pressure at any stage during the test or it fails.

This matters because the heavier and faster the car is, the more heat builds up in the disks/pads and the less time it has to dissipate before the next big stop - that's the killer.

Might be a different test in QLD?
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

I agree Dr. But my logic is that +54kg should be within the design parameters of the standard brakes....?

My point is that your logic doesn't hold if you are making the car significantly faster. I agree that the standard brakes will probably stop you once (drum brakes will stop you once); but they may not stop you good enough under duress.

I wouldn't want to be driving down a big hill wondering all the time if my brakes will stop me at the bottom...
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

I agree, but doesn't that relate to how the car is driven? It's assuming it'll be driven faster or in a different manner to standard. Not trying to be disrespectful, but getting down to the brass tacks of the matter. By this logic brakes should require an upgrade if you get lots of speeding tickets. Again, I believe in big brakes, but I think the justification in most cases is off... or not clearly articulated.

Drivers can change; physics refuses.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

That's my point too. The physics hasn't changed. F=Ma - It doesn't change just because the engine has more HP if the car is driven in a safe and legal manner. It's less additional weight than carrying a passenger (or overweight driver as I'm only a little guy), and the road rules dictate that both vehicles (standard/modified) can only do the maximum speed limit, so just blanket saying you need bigger brakes to me is an assumption that the driving has/will be more aggressive or outside legal boundaries.

I think the standard brakes would be well within design to handle an extra 60-odd Kg. As I said before I think bigger brakes are a GOOD thing, performance wise. I'll no doubt put them on regardless because I want the car to out-perform standard -but I just don't like being told to put them on without a defensible justification in law or physics.

I'll say again that this is just a friendly discourse/debate where I'm playing 'devils advocate' because I like to do things for a reason - and I need to understand the reason.

More reading - the only part in the NCOP LA2 that relates to brakes is having enough vacuum available for boosted brakes.....so no answers there.

engineering is part arse covering for the engineer so they err on the side of overkill,he is responsible for certifying that car for how ever long it is on the road.
    and i and they would highly doubt that someone who is going to double triple the power of a old tin can is going to drive it sedately and responsibly .

these things have no abs no airbags no collision avoidance systems nothing but a plunger at each end of a steel pipe to stop them.

the law is pretty simple
    if not standard on that range of vehicle you need a engineer to approve a non standard brake set up.

you know you can over brake a car and be just as dangerous as underbraked