Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Mk2 Cortina identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Cortina identification

Question Mk2 Cortina identification

I have bought myself a project which I have been slowly working on for the last 6months and the i.d plate has me stumped as I can't find the info to decider it all. It is a 1971 440L.

It has the paint code Q (yellow glow) which I can't find listed anywhere for a mk2, only from 1972 in the mk3.

and in the serial number it starts CK75LL, and as far as I can tell "75" doesn't exist in the mk2, just the mk1.

i have looked and looked but can't find these particulars for my mk2. Has anyone else come across something similar or can help me? At the very end of the run for the mk2 was there some limited number (rare) models?

I should also add that it is a column shift manual (factory fitted) the only information I can find for a 1971 440L is automatic?

My Mk2 chassis also has CK75LL;
    C= Built in Australia.K= Built in Sydney.
    75= 440 Deluxe column shift.
    LL= May 1971 (Compliance plated in 6/71).
    10***= Production Serial.
    Mine also has A after it as well which I'm not sure what that means...maybe Auto?
    I think column manuals are a bit rare in Mk2s? Is it a 4 spd or 3 spd?

Thanks for that. It's a 4speed

Out of curiosity, does yours have an A at the end of the chassis number?

prefix for auto is Z .
    Last edited by toxicbugman; 3rd January 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: MISTAKE

it was also came with floor shift ( standard ) remote ( GT ) and auto.

you say that your MK2 is a 440 L

i was under the impression the L was ( luxury ) and only associated with the English models ??

My car does have an A at the end of the chassis number. It does clearly say it's a 440L. The other thing that made me scratch my head is the pant code Q(yellow glow), I can't find any info listed anywhere for the colour on a mk2, everything I found was from 1972 on. So my car has quite a few things that don't match up with the common info I can find for the mk2 cortina.

Where is the ID plate fixed , top of right hand inner guard or rear of engine bay centered on bulkhead ? can you post picture of plate ?

It's fixed at the rear of the engine bay centred. I can post a picture but not for a couple of days as I'm away on holidays. Are the details confusing you also?

So any idea what the 'A' suffix is for? It's the one part of my chassis# I don't have decoded.

I have no idea what the A stands for. Is yours marked as a 440L also?

Mines just badged '440'. No extras that I'm aware of.

Just out of interest are the pressings on front locking panel raised up or down ?

Do you mean where the bonnet latch is? If so buy memory the pressed metal contours are down.

Engine

I can't post a picture but the plate says as follows:
    sido no: 201261
    model: 12035
    engine: D
    trans: T
    rr ax: S
    ft ax: S
    paint: Q
    trim: B
    Cortina Sed.
    prefix body ser no: CK75LL*****A
    6/71
    seating cap: 6

In 1970/71 there was a 440L model with either bench or bucket seats, your model No should read 12935 are you sure its not 0 but 9? if your IDplate is on the bulk head it should have the " This plate is affixed with the approval of the Australian Motor Vechicle Certification Board. " at the bottom . that " A " for the moment got me beat but ill keep diging .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast