Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Prop shaft balancing

Thread: Prop shaft balancing

Prop shaft balancing

Is there someone in the Ballarat area who could rebalance my prop shaft? There's a penetrating vibration at 90-110kmh that makes freeway driving unpleasant, and replacing the universal joints only made a slight improvement. (Same shaft and joints as the Cortina, only three inches longer.)
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

The prop shaft now balanced, but the growling vibration still there. Looks like the diff will have to come out, there's play at the pinion bearing.

I had the same annoying vibration on my MK1. The driveshaft was balanced, diff ck'd ok, and replaced the shackle bushings. Ended up that the front leaf spring bushes were worn which had excessive play. Replaced them. Vibration gone. Pete

I've already had the front spring bushes done, so it can't be them. I think the diff is the next move. I've go to do something about the problem, the Corsair mostly for holiday driving, and noise is worst just at the speeds you'd use on country roads.

ha sthe car been lowered or the rear has sagged?

will be prop alignment if everything else is in good shape

will need shims to align the diff properly

No, the height's OK. The diff pinion bearings are certain to be worn, there's play at the flange. The car's going to Geoff to repair when he's free.