Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Dashboard change LHD to RHD early
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard change LHD to RHD early

Dashboard change LHD to RHD early

Hi folks, is it possible to change left hand drive dashboard to rh drive, in an pre airflow
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes.

You need to remove the whole front end as the lower firewall is the section that needs replacing. This runs from the fire wall join to floor under the front seat. So it's guards and inner guards off plus front rails to do it properly.

You will also need RHD front rails as well

lhd to rhd

what a load of old cobblers, the RHS firewall is almost a mirror image of the LHS less the holes for brake clutch , if you look at the LHD lotus you will see they have used a plate to cover the RHS and on the LHS a plate fitted to the firewall with appropriate holes for clutch /brake. you do not have to modify the inner guard or chassis rail sand me a private mail , i will give you my address and if you wish come down and i will show you how it is done.

forgot to add same applys to the steering box , why change there is a Airflow LHD Lotus & a LHD Corsair here in Victoria join them with your LHD Pre Airflow .my advice , stay LHD.

Got to agree with Toxic, I have done the swap back in the home lands. The frame rails are the same LHD or RHD. Its quite straight forward to do once you have the parts. . I personally have had Cortinas LHD and RHD and have now problem
    sitting in either seat. The UK is the same as here road wise. I have a LHD Mustang i drive here in QLD with no problems at all. Your car of course Steve, what suits you...

I'm talking about doing it properly as per factory. Some may have lower standards and quite happy to do it the above way.

lhd to rhd

Hey! whats this " lower standards " when you start the job, post the work on this site and i will comment on your " standards "

lhd to rhd

ok so the panels are off , looking forward to them being attached as per factory.

Lotus actually produced a how to film of how to replace the dash in the event of write off. It can be done.

waiting for more " factory finish " photos of your project.

My panel guy has been busy on other projects. Mine is next in the queue. Front panels are back from the blasters all ready to go on.

Hi Steve, I'm the one with the LHD Corsair GT. I'd considered converting it to RHD, but the only dashboard parts available to do it properly are on a inaccessible rusty Corsair 1500 squashed under a Falcon in an overcrowded junkyard in Sydney. Nothing to do but wait, and as time goes by I'm getting used to having the wheel on the left and it doesn't seem so important now.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

I should say to that you shall keep it lhd. Alot of work to change and it needs some serious skills to hide it poperly.
    This arises the question from me: how common are lhd cars in australia? I worked at Volvo cars here in Sweden and when we went testing cars in the dessert in australia we had to put warning stickers at the back that the cars were lhd.
    suebutcher: is your Corsair GT sold new in australia, or is it a recent import from france? There was one for sale a couple of years back, beautiful condition car. A friend of mine has one, a total rust bucket I am trying to buy it from him.
    Power is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it.

Hi Bertil, my Corsair came from Italy. I brought it in eight years ago. As far as anyone knows the Corsair wasn't sold new in Australia, which makes the origin of the cars that are here a bit of a mystery. The parts list mentions an Australian version of the car, and Repco catalogues also listed parts for Corsairs, but that doesn't prove it was actually on sale here.

Can't shed any light on whether the Corsair was sold here but there was a green one around the corner from me as a kid, definatly a RHD. The old man always used to comment on it when we drove past in his Anglia. The guy also had a Mk3 Cortina bakkie, another oddball on Australian roads. It would've come out of South Africa, maybe they had Corsairs too...

Suebutcher, does your car have the column mounted revcounter or is it fitted to the centrestack?
    i saw a white 4 door GT with centre stack rev counter in Italy some 15 years ago sitting at a dealer south of Turin, very nice car, not 100% sure but I think the interior was blue. I am pretty sure the one I mentioned above was in France, anyway it had column mounted rev counter, white with red interior. My friends car is a column rev counter car.
    Power is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it.

Bertil, my Corsair GT is the first version with the tacho on the column. The car's a four-door, Tuscan yellow with a black interior. Black's the usual GT interior colour.

Rallye, Corsairs were built in South Africa, with a slightly different range of models. Instead of the 1500 GT, there was the Corsair 83, a deluxe with GT engine and brakes I think, like the Austrian Corsair S. I've no idea if any S.A.-made cars reached Australia. All the Corsairs I've seen say "Made In England" under the bonnet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast