Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
63 Bathurst Winner

Thread: 63 Bathurst Winner

63 Bathurst Winner

To finally lay to rest what the actual details of the winning 63 Cortina GT in the Bathurst Museum are I managed to get the details of the compliance plate.

It reads CBRYD which translates to Australian Assembled, Right Hand Drive and most importantly, October 64.

While it is a great vehicle to have in the Museum it is closer to the 64 White GT winner than the 63 as it definitely has the 3 dial dash.

It still looks great and has been driven in a couple of events in the last year or so.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Project64GT; 17th November 2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added photo

if you are refering to the R as right hand drive i think that is incorrect the CB ( product line) would be 63/64 , R (* Plant of manufacture) = Broardmeadows ,Y ( Month )= December , D ( Year ) = 1964

I am going by: http://www.cortina-mk1.com/identify.php

NOTE: If SERIAL PREFIX says EG: CBRGC... 'CB' means Australian assembled, 'R' right hand drive, 'G' month of build and 'C' year of build. We have not found 100% accurate details printed on decoding this just yet, but if you have any further information and/or experience decoding such things, please let us know. Contact drdanger@cortina-mk1.com
    Y = October and D = 64.

Mine is a CBRED (Aust assembled, RHDrive, E Month, D Year of build = August 64 ) which I confirmed with Ford over 10 years ago back when they had some personnel in the know (Alan someone ?)

If there is doco around which support a different version, I would would like to see it as we need to let every one know.
    Thanks
    Andy

numbers

Back in 1999 Paul Baldacchuino (now living in the USA ) sent me a list of serial numbers he had been working on , 8 in total , i was able to cross reference 7 of those and say that the serial prefix definitions i have posted are correct, the only one that was questionable had numbers included, CG72GF this was possibly a 66(CG ) 72 (4 door ) GF july/66 .IT would appear that the serial prefix after 65 had the body number included . , the cortina i have has a separate LHD tag

should read RHD

suebutcher. are the first two letters on your ID tag DD?

No, it was built in 1963 before the letter code was introduced in Britain, and to confuse matters it's a Corsair, not a Cortina.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

British Cortinas made from January 1965 have a code starting BA (Britain, Dagenham) or BB (Britain, Halewood), then a two-digit code for the Cortina body type, then the two letters coding the month and the year, then the VIN.
    1963 Consul Corsair 1500GT

Toxicbugman, I think you got the month codes wrong, Y can never be december and G can never be july. Y in 1964 is october and G in1966 is december.
    In the aussie built cars the year and month letters have changed place compared to UK built cars, but they are coded the same all over the world.
    suebutcher, you write "month and year" but I think you meen year and month.
    my -63 GT has Z77C533288E, Z saying Dagenham UK, 77 2 door GT, 5 designated for export market 33288 serial and E for april. My 1966 estate has BA87FU62140 B Uk, A Dagenham, 87 estate F 1966 U june 62140 serial
    change between the two configurations was made january 1965.
    Power is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it.

Bertil, I have a photo copy from 1994 titled SERIAL PREFIX DEFINITION . Sub titles , Product Line , Plant of Manufacture, Month of Manufacture, Year of Manufacture.

should read -" 1964 "-

I have couple of parts catalogues not copies, and this is the very first time I hear that Y for example should be december. They used a sequence of 16 letters coding the production month. For european produced cars the month letter was implemnted january 1963, before that they used end of month production number. The sequence is B R A G C K D E L Y S T J U M P . In 1964 it started with B for january, that means Y never can be december ever.
    it would be very interesting to see your VIN decoding document, like I say this is the first time I have heard that Ford used different production month coding for some countries/plants.
    Power is how hard you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it.

Berti, the photo copy is not from a parts catologue it came from Fords Records or what was left of them , it lists the following, Falcon 63/64. Cortina 62/64. Consul Corsair 64. Consul Capri 64. Zephy 62/64. Anglia. Thames F/C Truck. Thames N/C Truck. Fairlane 62/63/64. Galaxie 64. Thunderbird 64. It only had IDplate listings for Australian built cars , as posted before there has only been one IDplate that was questionable . Although the list is for cars up to 64 it has been used to ID MK1 Cortinas up to the last model and has been found to be correct with the exception of the one mentioned.

Toxic, I personally would like to have a copy of the Ford doco for my records, if it is only a page or two. Any chance of posting on this site please.
    I tried to get some doco from Ford about 12 years ago when I was buying the MK1 and while they confirmed my year / month and GT codes they claimed they had none that they would / could send.
    Thanks
    Andy

Project64GT . will not be posting any codes for some time as im waiting for a number of ? that will soon be finished to see how they will be passed off.