Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Around the Bay - in a day

Thread: Around the Bay - in a day

Around the Bay - in a day

I'm a bit crazy in that this year I decided to ride 'Round the Bay'.

'Round the Bay' is a charity pushbike ride that people raise funds for kids in need to ride a particular distance around Melbourne's Port Philip Bay.

This coming Sunday the 11th October, I'm going to attempt to ride the full 250 km from Melbourne CBD to Melbourne CBD via, Werribee, Geelong, Queenscliff, Sorrento (ferry), Mount Martha and Frankston.

I've had to do some pretty serious training for this event (and purchase a new bike etc.). Below (in red) I've added the blurb from the event organisers which contains a link to click to donate a small amount of money.

Hi,

I've entered the Around the Bay bike ride and have committed to ride 250km to help Australian children in need.

I've trained hard to get myself ready for this challenge because I'm riding to help disadvantaged Australian children.

Right now, 1 in 10 Australian children are living in disadvantage which means they can't afford the basics at school to make the most of their education. As a result, they fall behind and lose their self-confidence.

So I'm taking on this challenge because I believe that NO child should ever lose belief in themselves. To prove it, I'm raising funds to support The Smith Family to help disadvantaged Australian children create better futures for themselves.

Please support my ride to help these kids by making a donation through my fundraising page:
    https://aroundthebayfundraising.com.au/?AlDanger

All funds raised will support The Smith Family's work to break the cycle of disadvantage through helping children in need with their education.

You'll receive a tax-deductible receipt when you complete your donation.

Thanks for your support.

Training for this event goes some way to explain why I've taken a bit longer to send parts out lately. Sorry for that. Blame the needy kids.

cortina-mk1.com is tipping in the first $200.

Cheers, Al
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Trusty steed. Not sure it's actually that trusty because it's so new. Bike will not be limiting factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Ride complete! I'm mostly pretty broken but could be much worse. 250 km is a long way for a chump like me.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Congratulations on the ride. I really don't 'get' the cycling craze but 250km is a huge ride. Glad you made it!

I commute to work and back (20km) a day. It's not a 'craze' as such as a practical form of transport in a big city (quicker/cheaper than car or train).

I wanted to get a bit fitter and I enjoy riding - so I set myself a challenge to ride RTB so it would force me to step it up a bit. Am heaps fitter and healthier as a result.

Challenge achieved!
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Well done Al. I reckon around the bay in a day, would be a good Mk1 Cortina drive over summer

Thanks Ted.

I've been slowly hatching a plan along those lines.

Was thinking of a charity drive - something along the lines of 'Cruz for Jewles' and donate funds raised to Life Line, an organisation Julie was affiliated with (massively worthy cause).

Suggestions welcome.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Well done on the ride Al , in my younger days I did many club "centuries" 100 milers(160km) but the extra 90km would have been a killer it would take more than a mars bar and a coke to carb load after LMAO I found I had to wear TED stockings to bed for a week afterwards to save cramps at night once again well done !