Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Fuel Tanks

Thread: Fuel Tanks

Fuel Tanks

According to my Ford Cortina Shop Manual (late 1965) in the Fuel System (1498 CC GT) section the fuel tank is secured and retained by two straps. On the weekend just gone I removed the fuel tank from my late 1965 GT and this was retained and secured in place by bolts, not straps. Was there a change with the fuel tanks retention ? Or is this a non GT item. Can someone shed some light on this. Thanks, John.

Is it possible you were reading a GT500 manual? The extra tank was secured with 2 straps.

I don't know of any Cortina where the main tank wasn't secured with bolts to the boot floor.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Al, that gives me confidence that I am dealing with original items. I will copy the page and post it here for all to see. I am also having trouble dismantling the air extraction box/louver and I will post photos. John.

Al, I went downstairs last night and tried to find any remnants of where a (purportedly) strap could be secured but there were none. When pulling the tank out I discovered several discrepancies. The bolts securing the tank to the floor were loose and of varying lengths, no sealant between the tank and the floor, the fuel sender wire had been cut and re-joined, a tow bar has been fitted and this butted up against the fuel tank. My only assumption is that when the tow bar was fitted the tank was removed to allow this. They cut the fuel sender wire as they were unable to pull the wire off the sender. As for the bolts I am miffed, perhaps they forgot where they placed them. There is little rust around the floor where the tank sits so they got away with a lack of sealant !

50 years is a very long time for people to lose/replace/modify parts. I wouldn't worry too much about the odd bolts.

Tow bars do sit very close to the tanks, but shouldn't hit. I didn't remove the tank when I fitted or removed the tow bar, but there are probably several types of bars out there and some may require the removal of the tank, I'm not sure...

Good that there is no rust around the boot floor!

See other post for vent removal.
    www.cortina-mk1.com
    Contact me for parts.

Al, here is a copy of the page form the manual. John
    Attached Files Attached Files