Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
Harry Firth's 1964 Armstrong 500 3rd place car

Thread: Harry Firth's 1964 Armstrong 500 3rd place car

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    Well do tell do tell us more!!!
    The Mk1 is Harry Firth's car. It was 1 of 12 63' 2 door GT's brought in by Ford Aust for testing and evaluation. Ford sold the car to Harry and it was this car that Harry did the R+D for the GT500 on.

This car came 3rd at Bathurst, 2nd at Sandown running twin 40DCOE's and won at Lowood.

Harry was letting a lady friend use the car as road transport till 88' when it was pulled of off the road in sorry state. A few years later Harry sold the car to a good friend of mine Barry Ferguson ( a rally driver that drove a number of HDT team cars for Harry) Barry them sold it to me. It is still in need of restoration.

The Mk2 is Jim McKeown's Mk2 Lotus cortina that isn't a Lotus at all, Ford supplied an English 240 body shell and all the bits he asked for, including alloy panels. Running gear was lifted from the mk1 including the gearbox with remote.

I ended up with this car when a customer sold me his Mk2 Cortina Lotus which had alloy panels on it, on doing the deal he asked if I wanted the race car the alloy panels came from, I said ok, which turned out to be a good idea, he gave it to me

The genuine Cortina Lotus has had the alloy panels removed and is awaiting paint and re-fit, the race car is very sad and is going to take a long time to fix but it has to be done.
    Last edited by jewels; 15th February 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The Mk1 is Harry Firth's car. It was 1 of 12 63' 2 door GT's brought in by Ford Aust for testing and evaluation. Ford sold the car to Harry and it was this car that Harry did the R+D for the GT500 on.

This car came 3rd at Bathurst, 2nd at Sandown running twin 40DCOE's and won at Lowood.

Harry was letting a lady friend use the car as road transport till 88' when it was pulled of off the road in sorry state. A few years later Harry sold the car to a good friend of mine Barry Ferguson ( a rally driver that drove a number of HDT team cars for Harry) Barry them sold it to me. It is still in need of restoration.

The Mk2 is Jim McKeown's Mk2 Lotus cortina that isn't a Lotus at all, Ford supplied an English 240 body shell and all the bits he asked for, including alloy panels. Running gear was lifted from the mk1 including the gearbox with remote.

I ended up with this car when a customer sold me his Mk2 Cortina Lotus which had alloy panels on it, on doing the deal he asked if I wanted the race car the alloy panels came from, I said ok, which turned out to be a good idea, he gave it to me

The genuine Cortina Lotus has had the alloy panels removed and is awaiting paint and re-fit, the race car is very sad and is going to take a long time to fix but it has to be done.
    Ummm PLEASE post some current day pics up of these oh so significant race cars!!!
    (Maybe you can start a new thread-pretty please!!)

The only current photo's would be of the roof due to sardine parking.

I have made the decision to do everything possibe to get the Firth car to the nationals along with Barry's GT500, the same Barry I got the car from, as well as some of the race cars probably. Jewels has asked if want to do a trade stand as well so I think I may need a B-double.

I have had some great info and photo's from an old McKeown mechanic but any photo's or info would be greatly appreciated on either car, the in the pits home photo's are usually the most helpfull.

Firth car is still matching numbers and the head wasn't standard, little bit of port work and steel rocker posts, haven't pulled the bottom end down yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

paul looks real good

a consul GT 2 door nice

so this car was the one he raced at ? ? bathurst ?

yes 3rd place 64'

the car he co-drive with

John Rayburn in class C

was Class C in those days went on price didnt it ?

1001 pounds to 1200 pounds
    Last edited by jewels; 15th February 2010 at 12:28 PM.

I though the classes were related to the retail price of the vehicle, thats why 220's were in a different class to the GT's??

pmolly Guest
    I'm with U Zombie I'm sure it was $$ value

Away from Cortinas but may be of interest

I'll try and post some photos from the late 60s & 70s of
    my big bro (who I pit crewed for) in the "good old days" of the Bathurst Race
    when there were all sorts and classes of cars racing

Phil M

PS Imagine a Morris 1500 coming down Conrod (before the chicane was put in) at say 120 and being passed by Monaros and GTHO at nearly twice the speed.

your right was not thinking of pounds as in money drrrr