Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 106
VOLTAGE STABILISER Help...??

Thread: VOLTAGE STABILISER Help...??

VOLTAGE STABILISER Help...??

Hi Guys,

Ok been under the dash today on my little Aus 2 Door. Had the fuel and
    temp gauge's with a mind of there own!lol... So been here before a few times in the UK. Pull out speedo change Voltage stabiliser and all's good.
    er? no.. You guys hide them in a different place to the UK cars?. Checked
    out the Aus Ford parts book i have got and it shows it there in the picture and lists a part number. All help welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

capt,

they are mounted on the back of the speedo here to capt'n

next thing to check is your earths

there is info in this thread regarding the difference in volt stabs

HERE
    Last edited by jewels; 29th May 2009 at 07:17 PM.

Yes, strange there was no wiring either?. Thats why i had the dash out. Did all the
    earths today Jewels too. I have also had a pulsating Ignition light aswell when running on tickover. Put the lights on or foot on the brake to create a current drop and it stops!.

Mate, that sounds as though your voltage regulator swamp resistor may have bit the dust, you need a load for the voltage that shuts the light off to develop across. Another possibility would be the generator armature is open circuit at the commutator or poling on the field due to the rear bush having failed or the generator brushes are stuffed. I hate generators, get yourself an alternator and fix the problem in one go!

Quote Originally Posted by Captin Crayford View Post
    I have also had a pulsating Ignition light aswell when running on tickover.

captn , the igintion light should not pulse the volt reg is only used on the instuments

(....oh unless you mean the car is charging type of pulse?)

so the fuel, temp and other electric gauges (not the tacho)

check the wring there is sounds like its been put on the wrong circuit

Ok, The car is running an alternator and seems to be working ok. Put a multimeter
    across the back and its kicking out juice. In my pic of the engine bay by the washer
    bottle is a black box, the contact points in this are ticking on and off making the
    RED light flash. The car only has a temp & Fuel gauge.Jewels, Yes i agree with you
    re; voltage reg but no sign of anything behind dash????. I am going to have another look today so i'll update you all later. Thanks for all the advice so far..

that box on the inner guard is the alternator external voltage regulator

it should not be clicking that much....mmmmm

Hi all
    Yes Jewels your right. Went out and attacked it today. I have pulled out everything
    from the the dash traced all the wiring and there is no wires in the wrong place but
    still no Voltage reg found!, not even the wires seem to be there. Checked the back of the speedo and looks like it has never had one as where it bolt would go into the case
    its mint.

Well put it all back together and all now seem to be well?, confused. I will keep an
    eye on the gauge's as this was an intermittent fault . Electrics don't you just love
    em'!... Thanks all..

................ that sounds a lot like you cleared up an intermittent earth somewhere behind the dash in the course of your investigation. No chance that the earth stud at the steering column has worked itself loose I suppose?

Hi Nomad,

I did check the earths and removed them cleaned up and refitted. Didn't find any lose
    though. They all mount on the frame support for the steering column. Just seemed
    strange not to find anything not even the light green or the white wire coming
    out of the main loom. Didn't find anything cut off either, so i guess i'm 90% there
    just clock watching now.