PDA

View Full Version : Got a free ride!

dmulally
6th April 2008, 06:57 AM
Hey All,

I have managed to find a free ride for the rest of the season. The ink is still wet so Ill post up some pics next week of what it will be in.

I did round one in a 2l mk1 Esky.

Therefore I will be after a corty mk1 to potter around in. If anyone knows a fully restored one that is ready to go that would be great.

I have put all my stuff on ebay and if it gets high enough I will part with it. If not, I will put it into long term storage as insurance for the future. (dont worry Dr Danger, the consul bonnet wont be going with it!) There is no point building it up as a Nb race car when I am racing someone elses.

Cheers Damo

jewels
6th April 2008, 07:27 AM
well you may be able to help us uot damo

drivers side rear door(s) ?

dmulally
6th April 2008, 05:33 PM
Sadly I wont be splitting it all. I know I will make a lot of money if I do but selling parts is such a pain on ebay.

An el cheapo part can have 50 ppl asking lame questions.

Ill see what I can dig out of the loft though ;-) Ive got all sorts of crap up there!

dmulally
6th April 2008, 05:33 PM
ps. now I have to find a going registered one. *sigh* anyone want to part with theirs!!!!???

dmulally
7th April 2008, 08:19 AM
Woh mama! What is the deal with ebay?

I sold a restored Rover saloon recently and all the ppl asking about it were good mannered gentlemen.

For the corty's however, I am getting outright abuse as to why I am selling them!

"It will cost a further 15-20k to make one decent car out of both those heaps of junk. Why would anyone do this? It dosent make sense. What ever you are up to is dodgey mate"

That was a copy and paste (hence the spelling which is even worse than mine! ha!) And sadly it isnt isolated. For ever 2 questions 1 isnt even a question but someone having a go at me.

I wonder why...

jewels
7th April 2008, 04:20 PM
really :eek:
i dont understand what they are coming at
its none of their business

do what you like dmulally their your cars !

bet ya none of those 'meatheads' will bid
they would rather judge than do something themselves

Dr Danger
7th April 2008, 04:40 PM
Damo, I'm sorry to hear you and your Cortina's are parting ways... It would have been a great build I'm sure.

I'd have to echo what Jewels has said regarding people on eBay. Just ignore it. It's a bit strange because I have found that almost 100% of Mk1 people all around the world to be truely excellent people (and I've met alot now). I bet these loosers are just know nothing chumps anyway. So screw them and sell all your stuff to me and Geoff and Jewels (they are an item ;) ). :)

Good luck!

dmulally
8th April 2008, 08:22 AM
lol If you guys do want the gear let me know and Ill do mates rates. But be quick so I can take it off ebay.

Yeah, I love meeting mk1 fans at the track as everyone has a soft spot for them no matter which side they bat for.

I know that with a racing car I am looking at minimum another 15-20k and I couldnt be bothered.

So Id rather get someone elses car and just potter around to the shops in it.

Dr Danger
8th April 2008, 08:57 AM
So tell us more about this other racecar then?

If your looking at a Mk1 for a daily then I suppose you could do that but honestly, it's just not worth it. Heaters take a while to get cooking, no A/C, no P/S, shopping trolly dints give you the shits, the list goes on. I did it for 3 years before getting a little Corolla for a runabout and it was 3 years too long... Have one for a toy sure, but not a daily. That's just my 2 cents. But crusing around the streets is similar to the race paddock by the sounds - every bugger wants to chat about the Mk1 they used to have...

zombie289
8th April 2008, 09:58 AM
whats wrong with a daily driver mk 1 mate?? I enjoyed it when the starter motor rattled loose one week, then the dizzy would self distruct the following week, then the exhaust would start leaking, and then the generator would take a dump..... sooo much fun! (but funnily enough i loved driving them when i had em as dailys' :)

suppose if u went to a safety wired rebuilt starter, bosch electronic dizzy, new headers and a mega-overkill safety wired unbrako bolted, extra strapped, re-inforced alternator mounting it would be okay!!!

Dr Danger
8th April 2008, 12:48 PM
Yeh, well, I meant BESIDES all that Zombie! :)

dmulally
9th April 2008, 08:15 AM
Well my daily driver now is a 69 V8 rover which I just installed leather bonnet straps on as it had a nasty habbit of flipping the bonnet when it was raining and when I was running late.

The all alloy v8 is a dream though.

My new ride is a MNR Vortex bike engined clubby. So so fast!

I also have access on track to a mates mk1 esky which is a pig to drive but good fun. Managed to whip a race tuned mk1 corty with a 12k pinto in it too! Thats what led me to believe for racing Ill need a Larner pre crossflow engine and they go for around the 17-20k mark. Ouch!

Dr Danger, soon Ill have a very empty shed so how do you want that bonnet? Etched, hi-fil, painted...what?

Dr Danger
9th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Mmmmm bike engined clubby... Bit of a dream of mine.

Just leave it as-is I reckon. It sounded like it didn't need anything anyway...? If it does, then just etch - whatever is easiest for you. :)

speryer
9th April 2008, 08:13 PM
I would go for the Cortina as a daily driver.
I use my 65 Mustang as a daily... no power steering either, which is a whole different story compared to a Cortina. And no power brakes, one speed wipers, manual, left hand drive...

But driving a classic makes the commute so much more enjoyable... something to look forward to each day.

I just have to be a bit careful where I park!

ozzie
10th April 2008, 05:55 AM
nice car speryer vic rego i notice :)

dmulally
10th April 2008, 08:49 AM
The Rover P5b is the sweetest car Ive ever driven. Power everything and just cruises along.

As for the bonnet Dr Danger, cant you tell without a project I have idle hands!! Ill see what I can do then work out a way to ship it as I dont know when Ill be at phillip island next. Im sure it wouldnt cost much with Toll.

I agree with speryer. I have a 2 hour (each way) commute and at the end of a 1.5 hour train ride there is nothing like an old car greeting you at the station for the drive home. At my station there is a mk2 corty, a Hilman Imp, a few minis and a beetle or two. A smattering of H series holdens and an XP on fridays. I should partition to get our own spot for us.

jewels
10th April 2008, 03:12 PM
ozzie,
very observant of you :)

zombie289
11th April 2008, 09:43 AM
yer bolwell is vic rego too....So one assumes u are an aussie living in kiwi??

speryer
12th April 2008, 07:02 AM
My brother lives in Melbourne, and I had planned to move to Aust, so bought the Bolwell in advance... but never made it.
I had the Bolwell 5 years in Aust and the Mustang 1 year, before I bought them home to NZ, where I moved last year after living elsewhere overseas.

I had them stored at Chequered Flag Stables in Melbourne... a storage facility with some seriously cool cars...
http://www.chequeredflagstables.com.au/secure_car_wine_storage_photos.html

The Bolwell is the only one known in NZ and gets also of attention. I love how the Mk1 Cortina indicators have been recessed...

NZ roads used to be full of old cars, mainly English, but now with cheap Japanese imports, there are bugger all classics on the road.

Commuting in a Rover P5B would be something.. real class!

zombie289
12th April 2008, 11:50 AM
My brother lives in Melbourne, and I had planned to move to Aust, so bought the Bolwell in advance... but never made it.
I had the Bolwell 5 years in Aust and the Mustang 1 year, before I bought them home to NZ, where I moved last year after living elsewhere overseas.

...very much an international man of mystery! :) groovy baby yeah!

hehehe love yer cars mate, very, very cool collection u got there!