PDA

View Full Version : MK1 original wheels

scraps666
31st August 2009, 11:01 PM
I looking at getting a set of original wheels for my MK1. I have a set of 4 chrome centre caps in great condition ready to fit once I get my hands on some wheels.

I don't know much about the original wheels the MK1's came with and their size. Can anyone help?

jewels
1st September 2009, 05:27 AM
scraps we have a few of them if you want a set

they are only 4 1/2 inch wide

nothing special

as you sure you want to change to them ?

pmolly
1st September 2009, 08:00 PM
Mate there are 4 at Bulleen

As Jewels said

"they R skinny little buggers"

Come and get them:driving

Give me a call or email to arrange a time

Phil Molly

scraps666
1st September 2009, 08:03 PM
I definately wouldn't want to go for something that narrow Jewels. What wheels would fit the original centre caps? I've seen a lot of pics of MK1's with the chrome caps but not able to see them up close.

Cortina GT500
1st September 2009, 08:23 PM
I think you'll find that 1200cc sedans had 13"X3 5/8" wheels and all 1500cc, GT's and waggons had 13"X4" wheels. Sounds pretty scary,doesn't it?
Lotus Cortinas came with 13"X5 1/2" and most of us young blokes soon upgraded to this size.

jewels
1st September 2009, 09:24 PM
a set of widened rims
or 6 inch widies as thwy were affectional called

a1topdog
1st September 2009, 09:53 PM
Are you legally allowed to run banded wheels in Oz? That could be an option to use up some of those skinnies everyone has laying around.

scraps666
2nd September 2009, 10:10 PM
thanks for the info guys.

jewels
3rd September 2009, 05:27 AM
Are you legally allowed to run banded wheels in Oz? That could be an option to use up some of those skinnies everyone has laying around.

nah mate not legally

but there are plenty of 'bands' available new

which you can a centre into

nomad
3rd September 2009, 08:38 AM
The theory behind those skinny little tyres and wheels was to do with traction rather than friction, you have to remember our cars started out as a MumsandDadsmobile.

Big contact surface = lots of friction but low weight to contact surface ratio, small contact area gives a higher weight to surface area ratio (and a narrow conventional ply tyre cuts through slush to the road surface for traction, never mind you can't stop or turn!). Given that the suspension designs were being put together in the late fifties when conventional tyres were standard on pretty much everything but Citroens and roads were extremely ordinary pizza-cutter tyres aren't that much of a surprise.:clown